Bryanston Village History Group
The Bryanston Village History Group was set up in 2014 with the specific aim:
‘‘To document the history and life of Bryanston for posterity’
This lively group meets bi-monthly (January, March, May, July, September, and November). Meetings are usually held on a Thursday at 7:30, at Chynoweth, The Cliff, Bryanston, DT11 0PP. Please note: meetings are currently suspended due to COVID. New dates coming soon.
New members are always welcome
Contact email: [email protected]
Bryanston is a parish full of history which extends over approximately 1,500 acres. Traces of Romano-British occupation have been found and there are lynchets and other evidence of ancient field systems.
The original village of Bryanston was probably close to the existing Portman Chapel. In mediaeval times it was a relatively large settlement.
Early in the 17th century the site of the village was occupied by a large house owned by the Rogers family. After it was sold, it became the seat of the Berkeley Portman family. In 1778 the house was demolished and replaced by another, and in 1890 this house was in turn demolished and replaced by the great house which can be seen today (to the N.W. of the first site) – now part of Bryanston School. In 1898 a new parish church (St Martin’s) was built on or very near the site of the former houses.
Currently the BVHG is actively recording as much recent history as possible from older residents of the village and documenting the history of the various key buildings, especially those that formed an important part of the innovative Portman Estate.
Bryanston History Blog